Doing your own business plan can take a lot of time. Tailored Business Plans, specific to the Irish Pub Concept, are available at a cost from our partner.
Your Business Plan will generally be comprised of two documents:
Narrative Description of the Business
A document which clearly identifies, amongst many other observations, why this is a good idea, why it is suitable for the location you have chosen, why you are qualified to operate the business, who your target market will be, who your competitors will be and how your pub will be a unique and popular addition to local dining and entertainment. The document will describe, under headings of such topics as demographics, management, food and beverage menus, human resource, marketing, technology etc. exactly how you intend to run the business.
A series of spreadsheets and financial data which describe the estimated financial performance of the business over the first five years. The data will include an accurate estimate of the initial capital cost of building/renovating your pub, accurate estimates of food, beverage, labor, rent and other operational costs, estimated income statements and cash flow projections that demonstrate the business can pay its bills/repay debt.
After opening your pub, these documents will also serve as a good framework to budget your pub’s performance.
Narrative Description of the Business
In this document you should identify the following elements of your business:
- An overview of the Irish Pub Concept (IPC)
- The IPC in the context of North American casual dining
- The proposed location of the pub along with demographics
- Information on landlord, occupancy costs and parking availability
- Summary and assessment of local competition
- The proposed style of design (with photos)
- The ownership and management team biographies and business qualifications
- The development team – designer/contractor/architect/consultants
- A short summary of the capital budget and estimated 3-year revenues and profits
- Style of food and beverage including proposed menus if possible
- Management structure, style and accountabilities
- Operational systems and processes – POS/AV/CCTV etc.
- Marketing, advertising and public relations
- Music and entertainment
- An short executive summary of all the above
The document should be created to present easy reading for the reader, printed on good quality paper and bound professionally, ideally with a graphic representation of your pub on the cover.
You will find that creating this document will make your pitches to funders much more professional. It will also enable you to explain your idea with great confidence and conviction, something that will always lend strength to any pitch.
In this document you should identify the following key financial data that you estimate will occur in the business over its first five years of operation:
- Estimated net revenues (revenues net of relevant sales taxes) by category – food, beverage, banquet, merchandise etc.
- Seasonal adjustments to revenues
- Growth factors affecting revenues
- Logical basis for estimating revenues – day by day sales estimate
- Capital budget of project broken down by category – design, build-out, equipment, soft costs, smallwares, pre-opening payroll, pre-opening marketing etc.
- Estimate of all operational costs incurred by the business – payroll, food cost, beverage cost, utility cost, operating supplies, entertainment, marketing etc.
- Income statement showing the P&L of the business on a month by month basis and identifying all operational costs, debt and interest repayment
- Cash flow statement showing availability of cash on a month by month basis and the ability of the business to service debt
- Summary of equity investment and anticipated borrowings, including anticipated interest rates and amortization
- Depreciation schedule showing depreciation of fixtures, fittings and equipment
- Balance sheet showing liabilities, debt, equity, accounts payable and accounts receivable
- One page executive summary of financial performance to include total revenues, total costs, borrowings and equity, capital cost, breakeven and pre-tax profits.
Business Plans and Financial Estimates specific to the Irish Pub Concept are available at a cost through the vendors page on this website.